Skip to main content

Lokai Bracelets and the Human Quest for Authenticity




You've probably seen these. If you are in high school (or a teacher), you definitely have.
Image result for lokai bracelet

The message is good. Water from Mt. Everest to remind you to stay humble during the best of times. Mud from Dead Sea to remind you to stay hopeful during the worst of times.

A real one is $18. I've seen knockoffs for much cheaper. But for the $18, you get a guarantee of... something.

The beads are authenticated by FTI consulting. As near as I can tell, they don't do the tests themselves. They just promise that they saw the tests being done. Notice what the certificate doesn't say: It says nothing about where the mud and water came from. Just that there is mud and water there.


 Would you, without access to a laboratory, be able to determine if the water were from the tap or Everest? No. So the question really becomes one of faith: do you trust the people who are selling these bracelets not to lie to you? If you do, the bracelets are worth the hype. If you do not, then you sneer at those who buy them. After much reflection, I find myself somewhere in the middle. After all, faith in God is a matter of trust as well.

For me, a much more interesting point is: does it matter? If the purpose of the bracelet is to serve as a reminder, does it matter if there tap water, rainwater, or even any water at all in the white bead? If it is merely a reminder, can't I just tie a piece of colored string around my wrist?

The fact is that humans crave authenticity. We want to know that things are genuine, unique. For example: Van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night. Mrs. Goertz and I have a canvas print in our dining room. To the untrained eye, it looks just as good as the original, which is somewhere in the Netherlands I believe.


No one would argue that ours is worth as much as the original, even though the original is much older and not in as good of condition. People want the true version. They want it to be real.

That's why our students went to Europe over Spring Break, to experience authenticity. I can watch documentaries about the Coliseum. I can run a 3D simulation of walking on the Acropolis. But for some reason, we want to be there. It's not enough to just see a thing. We want to see the real thing and we're willing to pay for it. It's the difference between watching a wonderful recording of a great opera and seeing a mediocre performance of the same opera.

Why is authenticity so important? Philosophy has a lot to say on this, but this post is already a lot longer than I had intended, so I won't go into that here. My idea has to do with how we are made. As Mrs. Ochoa says, our God is a God of relationships. Therefore, we crave authentic connection with each other and with the world. We feel differently when we are surrounded by real friends, real art, real adventure. It is what we are made for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue. Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)? Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around. Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple,