Skip to main content

"Battling" Cancer


The news that John McCain has brain cancer gives me an opportunity to talk about many things. I mean it's John McCain! There's so much that can be said about the man (in a good way). But since talking about a politician almost always ends up about politics (and I'm trying to keep this blog apolitical), I want to talk about cancer instead. Specifically, our perceptions of cancer.


Cancer is just part of life for many people. As we get older, the cell programming gets a little confused (mutations) and cells begin to grow out of control. When we are younger, our immune systems can defeat cancer, but it gets sloppy as it gets older. And since each cancer cell is a clone of its parent cell, if the body misses one individual, it will miss them all. With increased lifespans and an increase in carcinogenic compounds present in the world, we will see rising rates of cancer. Already cancer effects about 1 out of every 3 Americans (I think. I haven't looked it up recently).

However, I have a problem with the terminology that we use to describe cancer patients. We talk about the "fight" against cancer. We say that someone has "lost" or "won" the "battle" with cancer. We refer to "weapons" that we can use to stop cancer. This military terminology is inappropriate.

First off, it places cancer in the role of an enemy. While I'm certainly not saying that cancer is good, it is not conscious. It is not acting with a will. While it is true that the dictionary does say that an enemy is not necessarily a person (an object can also be an enemy if it causes harm), it necessarily personifies cancer. When I think of an enemy, I think of someone who has a thought or direction (if misguided) behind their actions. I could call someone who is trying to break into my house an enemy. I would not call a sharp rock an enemy. I might call a hostile coworker an enemy. I probably would not refer to a mosquito as an enemy. (Of course, maybe that's just me. Many people do refer to mosquitoes as the enemy. I certainly do treat my yard against them. But I don't personify them or call the mosquito fog a chemical weapon.) Mislabeling a disease puts us on shaky footing for understanding the disease.

Secondly (and more importantly), wars have winners and losers. I don't know if it is just an American thing, but in my mind, the strong win wars and the weak lose them. So in the back of our minds we hear "She was strong enough to beat cancer" or "He was just too weak to overcome cancer". What sort of sense does this make? You can't will yourself to be stronger (not precisely true, but true enough here). Dying from cancer doesn't mean that someone failed. A conscious effort of the will cannot prevent cancer. Life choices that we make can affect the chances of developing cancer, but that's not the same thing.

A third minor point. The drugs that we use to treat cancer are terrible "weapons". We don't use nuclear weapons in war because the cause a lot of collateral damage and civilian death. Same with chemo and radiation therapy. These tools do terrible things to our body. They just (usually) happen to kill the cancer cells faster than they kill healthy cells. The (good) weapon analogy falls apart here.

I understand the need to personify life. It's one of the things that we do as humans. However, language shapes our perception of reality. We need to make sure that we use language that accurately reflects the true nature of things. Maybe a military description is good for explaining to children, but (most) adults are ready for something more real. Why not "suffering from cancer" instead of "battling cancer"? How about "passed away due to cancer" rather than "lost the battle"? These terms reflect seriousness without applying the martial language. Maybe their less imaginative, but sometimes we need that in the world.


Comments

  1. Some readers got the false impression that I was saying that Senator McCain was faking his illness. Far from it. He is really one of the politicians that I have the greatest respect for. Also, I would never accuse anyone of pretending to have cancer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue. Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)? Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around. Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple,