Skip to main content

The Trouble with Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Last night I was listening to Fresh Air on NPR. They were interviewing the writers of the new movie The Big Sick (it looks interesting. I'll probably watch it). Anyway, they were talking about the differences of growing up in America vs. Pakistan and Kumail Nanjiani said that he didn't really understand movies with rebellious teenagers. He especially gave the example of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. His wife and co-writer, Emily, sort of scoffed at him for not enjoying a classic piece of American teenage cinema.

I hear you Kumail. I've never understood the appeal of that movie. It is still on the list of movies that I dislike the most. Ferris's behavior throughout the movie is atrocious. He lies to his parents. He lies to the school. He mistreats Sloane. He bullies Cameron to the point where it seems (to me anyway) that he almost commits suicide. This is not a movie about teen rebelliousness. This is a movie about a jerk.

Disclaimers: Maybe I am just too critical because of my upbringing. Here are a few things that you should know about my teenage years.

  • I was (even more than now) a huge nerd.
  • It never really crossed my mind to go against my parents wishes ever.
  • I didn't have a car and wasn't allowed to ride in a car driven by a teenager.
  • I didn't see Ferris Bueller's Day Off until I was in college (maybe later than that?)

That being said, I still think the movie is terrible. My biggest problem isn't that Ferris is a jerk. It's that there is no lesson in this story.* It ends with Mr. Rooney (who admittedly went overboard) going insane. It ends with everyone still thinking that Ferris is the best guy ever. It ends with Jeannie deciding to just give in and accept that she has not power to change anything in her life.

That's just wrong. Those of you who know me know that I my main lesson that I want students to learn before they graduate is that you can do whatever you want in life as long as you are willing to accept the consequences (positive or negative) of your choices. Ferris does not experience justice for his actions. He ends with thinking that he is correct to be a jerk.

My preferred ending:While rushing back from the city, Ferris get into a wreck in the Ferrari (he doesn't actually know how to drive it. While he comes out with only minor bruises, Sloane and Cameron are hospitalized. They don't die (that would be dark and I don't like dark movies). The wreck is on the news and everyone at school sees that Ferris was lying to them. He finds himself with very few friends (Sloane remains his friend, but breaks up with him. Cameron's dad relocates his family across the country). Ferris has to work hard to rebuild his reputation. He maintains a B average. He tries to be a better person. He doesn't always succeed because you don't become a new person overnight. As time passes, it gets easier and easier for him to leave his old habits behind as her replaces them with better things. He graduates and goes on to study musical theater at Northwestern

* Apparently Ferris would like us to think that the message is "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." But that isn't really related to much of what we see in the movie.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue. Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)? Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around. Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple,