Skip to main content

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 1 - Quidditch

As some of you may know, last year's seniors named me "Most Likely to Ruin Your Childhood".

In addition, they misspelled my name...
This has to do in part with my feelings on Santa Claus, but let's put a pin in that for now. It is also related to my dislike of Harry Potter. (Full disclosure: I didn't start reading Harry Potter until high school, maybe college, so I don't have nostalgic warm feelings about it from childhood. I was reading Lord of the Rings during fifth grade.) I've already aired my views on Ferris Bueller, so indulge me as I poke at another beloved memory. This will take several (up to 15) posts.

Part 1- Quidditch

I don't know quite how to say this, but JK Rowling created one of the few fantasy worlds that I would not like to live in. Don't get me wrong, Middle Earth and Scadrial have their problems too, but they have some awesome benefits. I have trouble seeing the benefits of the Wizarding World. A large part of my objections can be summed up by a study of quidditch. In this "fun" game, we see reflected the worst of the elitism of the society.

1. Seekers
Forget the Quaffle. Forget the Keeper, Beaters, Chasers, and all of that. There's really only one path to glory in the quidditch pitch: Seekers. Sure you can win a game without the Seeker, but at 150 points for the Golden Snitch to 10 points for a Quaffle score, how often does that actually happen?

Seekers are not team players players. In fact, being a team player undermines their performance. They must shut out everything else that is happening and focus on the Snitch. The rest of the team is merely playing a delaying tactic while the Seekers are the real game.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Seeker

2. Money buys ability
Part of the problem with a game involving flying brooms is that your broom quality can impact your game. Remember that time that Draco's father bought the Slytherin team new Nimbuses? You will correctly make the counter argument that this happens in real world sports all the time. There was a minor scandal in swimming a few years ago over the suits giving unfair advantage to rich teams. However, this disparity was corrected in new rules.

Perhaps I don't understand how British schools work, but why is one house of Hogwarts allowed to use different equipment then their classmates? The school is free, sure, but you'll get better treatment and opportunities if you have more money (wands, familiars, textbooks included).

3. Small teams
Let's pretend for a moment that the entire team does matter. How many students from a Hogwarts house can hope to play Quidditch? The team is 7. You can have alternates, but they don't really have much of a chance to play (almost any injury can be quickly treated by Madam Pomfrey). So that's 7 students out of shall we say 100 in each house? Only these students are allowed to reach for glory.

It's not like there are any other sports that you can play at Hogwarts. There's not even any extracurriculars that you can really join (select or clandestine groups don't count). The only activity that can get you house points is Quidditch and only a fraction of your House can contribute to that.

Let us also take a moment to feel badly for the 7th year Seeker in training in Harry Potter's first year. They patiently train and practice waiting for the glorious moment when they will finally have their chance to lead Gryffindor to victory. Too bad that "The Boy Who Lived" shows up. You'll never get your chance now. The talent scouts will never see you play. Sure, Harry is a great Seeker and good for the team. But we've already established that quidditch is not a team sport.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue. Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)? Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around. Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple,