Skip to main content

Why Study Shakespeare?

 





A few weeks ago, the English II students were practicing giving speeches. One student extended a particular invitation to me to hear her speech on why we shouldn't devote so much time to studying Shakespeare in high school. She made some good points:

  • More time should be made to explore other authors and diverse views. Specifically mentioned were:
  • The style in which he writes has been replicated by many authors since, so it is no longer unique.
  • The plots are derivative and quite boring in some ways.
  • Shakespeare's themes are rightly called timeless. Authors before and since have explored these themes as well (arguably better at times)

As I said, all good points and I don't disagree with the arguments. However, I offer the following reasons for continued study of works by William Shakespeare.

Cultural Literacy
Yes, we could probably achieve many of the same educational goals by analyzing other works of literature. But we'd miss out on understanding hundreds of years of references and allusions that have followed.

 If we cease our study of these "outdated" works, would students still be able to identify the source and meaning of:
  •  "To be, or not to be" (Hamlet, Act III, Scene 1)
  • "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse! (Richard III, Act V, Scene 4)
  • "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears" (Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene 2)
  • "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them" (Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene 5)
Or these movies (not counting direct stage to film adaptations)?
  • The Lion King (Hamlet)
  • West Side Story (Romeo and Juliet)
  • 10 Things I Hate About You (The Taming of the Shrew)
Or book titles?
  • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (The Tempest)
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury(Macbeth)
  • The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck (Richard III)
It is possible to enjoy all of these without understanding the source material. However, to truly understand authors' intent, you have to know where the authors were drawing inspiration from (not to mention all the references in Star Trek).

Vocabulary building
Shakespeare had a massive vocabulary. According to The Harvard Concordance to Shakespeare, there are 884,647 total words used in all of his writings. Once all of the repeats and variants are weeded out, there's a total of 20,000 different words used in total (according to some estimates). That's quite a lot of variation. If you are trying to build your vocabulary, you could do worse. 

In addition, he introduced a number of new words to the English language (estimates range from 400 to 1,700. The lower estimate is probably more correct; some of them already existed, but hadn't been written down).

Cultural Significance
English class (in high school anyway) is mostly past the point of spelling tests and grammar rules. It is the study of what makes us human. The following is a list of humans who were were inspired by their studies of Shakespeare (not all of these are humans to idolize):
  • US Presidents (Including Adams, Jefferson, and Lincoln)
  • Nelson Mandela
  • Sigmund Freud
  • Karl Marx
  • Adolph Hitler
  • Winston Churchill
  • Akira Kurosawa
  • Margaret Thatcher
In summary, I concur that we should study things beyond Shakespeare. I feel that we do a fairly good job at that. Here's what the sophomore Honors English II students are reading this year:
  • The House on Mango Street
  • Julius Caesar
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Frankenstein
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Assorted poetry, short stories, articles, and speeches
That is a decently diverse list. With all the influence that Shakespeare's works continue to have on our society, I think that one play a year is a fair inclusion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue. Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)? Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around. Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple,