Skip to main content

Watch the 1995 Pride and Prejudice (not the 2005 version)

Our sophomores read Pride and Prejudice, which is a book that everyone should read (it actually gets better each time I read it. I pick up on the humor more and more each time).

You may wonder (when you're done reading of course), which movie should you watch: the 1995 adaptation or the 2005 (there are a number of other options including 1940, 1980, and Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, but we'll put those aside for now). In my mind, there's only one viable option. It's the 1995 BBC miniseries version. It's just better all around. 


If you haven't seen it, you may never agree with me (we tend to like the first thing that we see). However, here are a few reasons whey you should give it a chance:


The casting (and hair) is much better. Here are 3 examples.

1995: Colin Firth

2005: Matthew Macfadyen





1995:  Jennifer Ehle
2005: Kiera Knightley





1995: Mr. Bennet (Benjamin Whitrow)
2005: Mr. Bennet (Donald Sutherland)



Length is important in book adaptations.


To properly adapt a book, you need time. the 2005 film has a runtime of 2 hrs and 7 minutes. That's just not long enough to properly focus on the details, characters, and subplots. In other words, the 2005 film reduces the story down to the bare bones of the story and a whole lot of Wickham being a jerk is left out.

The 1995 miniseries runs on for 5 hrs and 25 minutes. Now, you may say that is too long, but if you have the patience to read a book, you should be able to sit through a movie as well. That extra time gives room to explore the characters and their motivations, faithfully reproduce the best lines, and focus on reactions (not to mention lots of time for Darcy to stare).
It would be a lot shorter without the staring.

Another important aspect of the length is that Pride and Prejudice is like comfort food. I (and by extension you should) watch/read it when I'm not feeling well. If I'm going to be in bed sick all day, 2 hours isn't going to be enough to get me through.


The hand flex is stupid

Much has been said of Darcy's hand flex.


Big deal. I flex my hand all the time: when I'm cold, when I'm trying burn a few extra calories, when I'm stressed, sometimes when I'm feeling awkward. But never when I'm concealing passion. This means nothing.



Please take a weekend on watch the vastly superior 1995 version.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue. Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)? Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around. Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple,