Skip to main content

My Lucky Fin

 I've been promising this post for a while. Those of you who know me in person have probably noticed that I walked with a limp sometimes. It's not your imagination; my left foot is very messed up. I affectionately call it my lucky fin.

One of the many things I share in common with Nemo.


The story is actually pretty fascinating. I was too young to remember a lot of it, but my mom takes copious notes* and saves everything, so I can reconstruct a lot of it.

When I was less than a year old, I was diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation. More specifically, a peripheral limb AVM, so less serious than one in the brain, but still needing correction. Two surgeries later, it was taken care of.

I thought I had a better picture, but you can see the cast.


Unfortunately, this left me with major scarring on my left calf (ask me to show you sometime). My whole leg developed wonky. The doctor's notes that I have say "Scarring in the gastrosoleus complex has left him with an extremely tight heel cord and a tendency to break at the midfoot and difficulty getting his heel down to the ground when he walks". Another diagnosis says: "He has an equinus contracture of his left foot due to a soft tissue muscle contracture that has caused him to have midfoot breakdown and a pes planovalgus position of his foot. He walks with an externally rotated gait."

Breaking this down:
  • Gastrosoleus complex: calf muscles
  • Equinus contracture: inability to bring foot up to a right angle with the leg
  • Midfoot breakdown: not an exact link because this one is really interesting. Since my ankle did not have a full range of motion, the bones in my midfoot developed greatly increased movement. My foot acts as the hinge that the ankle could not!
  • Planovalgus position: flat feet. I have absolutely no arch on my left foot. When I leave a wet footprint, it looks almost like a perfect oval.
  • Rotated gait: aka "out-toeing"
Also, my left leg is a little shorter than the right.

So, this is what happened as I was growing up. In freshmen year of highschool, we started to get a little concerned about some pain. Doctors took a look at it and determined that without corrective surgery, I would probably need a cane by the time I was 30. The surgery decided upon was a heel cord lengthening. This was done the summer after my freshmen year. So I started sophomore year at a brand new school (Stony Point had just opened) with a cast and later a leg brace.

I still wear orthotic inserts and occasionally an ankle brace. I have to do stretches and some days my leg really hurts by the evening (that's when you may see me limping). No cane yet (but if I do get one, I'll get something cool).
One of the few things I think is cool about series.

What's the point of this whole story? I'm not sure. I guess here's a few ways that it impacted my life:
  • I was never much good at sports (that's probably not just due to the leg). So I did theatre and debate.
  • Some kids made fun of my limp in school, but people can make fun of just about anything. So if I didn't limp, they'd have picked something else.
  • I briefly considered joining the military after 9/11 (it was my senior year of high school). The recruiter made a face when he saw my limp, so I didn't end up going through with it and continued on my plan to study theatre lighting design (that didn't end up happening either).
  • My favorite cardio machine is the elliptical since my foot can stay in position. 





*Note taking is how she deals with stress. I can tell you what I had for dinner on the evening after my surgery in 1999, what time the food came, and what movie I was watching (chicken sandwich, mashed potatoes, Dr. Pepper, 7:15, The Scarlet and the Black)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue. Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)? Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around. Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple,