Skip to main content

Social Contract in Disney's Wish

Spoilers for Disney's Wish

This isn't a post attacking the movie. It was enjoyable. The music was okay. There were a lot of Easter eggs (you caught that each of her friends is based on one of the 7 Dwarfs, right?) But I take pleasure in overanalyzing things. Scroll down for today's issue.









Mrs. Goertz brought up an interesting point this morning as she was singing This Wish from Wish. Was Magnifico's plan all that bad (not the monster that he became, but the original situation from the beginning of the movie)?

Magnifico and Amaya founded the kingdom of Rosas to be a safe place free from the trauma of his own youth (the details of fuzzy, but I'm thinking war). Rosas seems like a good place, as near as we can tell: low crime, fairly egalitarian society, no concerns of outside attack. In fact, one of the first scenes shows that there is enough immigration that there is a position of tour guide to show newcomers around.

Yes, the castle is a little large for one couple, but the citizens don't seem to mind.

Social Contract in Rosas
The only special requirement for citizenship seems to be surrendering your "greatest" wish (I'm sure that they have taxes and laws and other normal things too).


But where exactly is the evil in this plan? Any form of government requires citizens to give up some freedoms. That's social contract 101.

There's no "secret" part of this agreement. 
  • Everyone gives up their wish on their 18th birthday or when they immigrate to the kingdom, if they are adults
  • Once a month, Magnifico grants one wish. It might be yours.
Now, we know that Magnifico screens the wishes to make sure that he doesn't grant any that have even a chance of a negative impact on the safety and security of his citizens. But really, that's not too bad. It's not a police state; there's no sign that he controls any of their other actions or thoughts. And it is repeatedly stated that people are happy to give up their wishes. They don't remember them, so they don't know what they are missing. It is implied (later in the movie) that people are only living half a life. We see Simon acting differently after giving up his wish, but maybe that's just temporary? None of the adults in the kingdom seem to be just drifting through life.

When Asha sees the vast number of wishes that go ungranted, she is shocked. But why? Only 12 wishes are granted a year and this is done publicly. Unless the population is very small, it's obvious that most people won't have their wishes granted. This is a clear part of the agreement


What is the real problem?
The real problem (as Mrs. Goertz and I see it) is the absolute monarchy on the island. King Magnifico holds absolute power. Amaya is his queen, but she doesn't seem to do much. Magnifico has real power in his magic and social power in his role as leader. He makes all the decisions about whether a wish is safe or not. That level of responsibility will corrupt anyone. He became obsessed with doing the right thing (as he saw it).

He got really scary when he is challenged.

What's the situation at the end of the movie?

The film leaves us with the impression that Queen Amaya becomes monarch. We've still got the problem of power being in the hands of one individual. Governments ultimately decide whether people's desires (deepest or otherwise) will be granted. What if someone's deepest desire is to be the new ruler of the kingdom? How will she stop them? Where will she decide to draw the line with any lesser wish?

Arguably, Rosas is also less safe now than it was at the beginning of the movie. Magnifico used his magic to protect from outside threats and (presumably) from inside threats as well. Who will now be guarding the prosperous, peaceful kingdom from foreign powers?

I guess the real question raised by Wish (maybe not the one that Disney intended to raise, but I will) is how much freedom are you willing to give up for safety and security?


(In case it wasn't clear, the main credit for this post goes to Mrs. Goertz)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyzing Goertz Memes

 I often find myself on the Savio meme pages. Let's take a look at a few: 1. Handbooks I do read it quite a bit. We do some massive updating each summer. 2. Airpods I'm an Android user myself. I do think of the Airpod memes everything students walk past me wearing their earbuds (against the handbook, by the way). 3. Caaaw! Dr. Garcia started the noise. I don't do it as well. 4. Let it Go Well, yes. I was the one with the microphone and tiara. 5. Blue Shirt/Gold Tie Thank you. I think I look pretty good as well. 6. Saturated Because one time I said that the grass was saturated with rainwater. 7. Lunch There's a lot of lunch memes about me. Yes, I walk up and join conversations. I'm a socially awkward person, but it's allowed when you are an administrator. 8. Doors If you go through the wrong doors, I will find you and I will stop you. 9. History I don't know. Also, apparently my name no longer has a Z. Alright! First post in years.

My Issues with Harry Potter: Part 4 - The Education System

Okay, maybe it's because I'm not British, but the education system in the Wizarding world makes very little sense to me (a teacher). Granted, the American system doesn't make sense to much of the rest of the world. Here in the US, we don't have college entrance exams, so I won't criticize things like OWLs or NEWTs. However, I am going to have to criticize the entire theory of education. Primary Schooling A Hogwarts letter arrives on a student's 11th birthday (sort of). What are the options for students before they are 11? Rowling says that they may either go to public schools or they are home schooled. It sure seems like most magical parents choose the latter option (most wizards know nothing of the Muggle world, which should not be the case if they attended public school for 6 years). Here we run into our first problem. What exactly are these children being taught? In the US (and from what I can tell, the UK), parents are not required to fol